Jeff and Jennifer

Jeff and Jennifer
Love!

Friday, September 30, 2011

What Every *Prospective* Parent Should Complete...

In my previous post, I was confused and conflicted at the prospect of adoption. Waking that next morning I realized that my emotions were stemmed from the recent announcement of a "facebook friends" pregnancy and the fact that it seemed like everyone I'm surrounded by is lucky enough to conceive and share their joy with the world. I was jealous and envious of what they have. I am happy to announce that my doubts are no longer there, and we are continuing on our path.

This coming Wednesday, Jeff and I have two very important meetings. The first is with the adoption agency we are applying to and the second is with the RE, to discuss what went wrong and to hear his insights about our future chances with IVF. Both should be very interesting as we are closing one chapter of our story and beginning the next...

We received our Home Study Packet to get a head start collecting the items needed. The home study process can take 6 to 8 weeks to complete and includes all of the following:

1. Local/State/Federal Background Checks
2. Fingerprinted by the FBI
3. Income Statements
4. Medical Physical
5. 5 Letters of Recommendations
6. Employment Verification
7. Biographical Information of both adoptive parents to include information on your family relationships, childhood, marriage, views on child rearing, education, community and religion and how all of this will effect your new soon to be child
8. Good Moral Character Affidavit
9. The list continues...and continues...

It is absolutely mind boggling at the amount of information we have to gather and put together just for the home study. They even inspect your home! It is crazy that only adoptive parents endure this...all prospective parents should have to do this. I think it would solve and prevent certain individuals from parenting.

So next week I will begin looking into the background checks and fingerprinting and will be scheduling our physicals. At least I don't have to track down Birth Certificates or Marriage Licenses...Bonus!

I've even started on our "Dear Birth Mother Letter" or adoptive parent profile. I'm excited to see how it will turn out. :) Jeff is thrilled that I am super organized and enjoy filling out paperwork...because for the next several months there will be no shortage. 

Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment